A few people have asked for a central place where they can see everything I’ve written about sustainability and open source. Tada!
If you're new to this topic, I've starred (🌟) the pieces below that I think you'll enjoy most.
To get notified about future writing:
If you have questions, find me @nayafia.
History and Future
Where we've been, where we're going.
10K Foot View
Challenges in how we build and sustain software infrastructure. If you're new to this topic, start here.
- 🌟2017 Open Source Survey // Collaboration at GitHub, launched June 2, 2017🌟
- 🌟How I Stumbled Upon the Internet’s Biggest Blind Spot // January 13, 2016🌟
- 🌟Roads and Bridges: The Unseen Labor Behind Our Digital Infrastructure🌟 // July 14, 2016 // Long read; for an abridged version, see Cory Benfield’s summary. Thanks Cory!
- 🌟Consider the maintainer (slides)🌟 // January 24, 2017
- The Atlantic Was Wrong. Software Engineers Do Exist. // November 5, 2015
- Let's make software great again (slides) // February 12, 2016
- Open source infrastructure: the Q&A // January 19, 2016
- Why I'm here, doing this thing // June 9, 2016
Money, Economics and Business
Funding software infrastructure through grants, venture capital, and good ol' fashioned revenue.
Community & Culture
The human side of open source.
- 🌟awesome-maintainers: Talks, blog posts, and interviews about the experience of being an open source maintainer // January 21, 2018🌟
- 🌟Open Source Guides // Collaboration at GitHub, launched February 14, 2017🌟
- 🌟Request for Commits: a podcast about the human side of code, produced by Changelog // August 4, 2016 - March 21, 2018🌟
- What success really looks like in open source // February 5, 2016
- How to be a good open source citizen (slides) // April 15, 2016
- Designing useful contributing guides (slides) // April 22, 2016
- Template for writing your own contributing guide // April 17, 2016
- The Kite debacle is democracy at work // July 25, 2017
Words & Definitions
What we mean when we talk about open source.